February 18, 2012

Always Take a Banana to a (Birthday) Party

Pin It

There's something you should know about me. You may have guessed it already; goodness knows that I've dropped enough hints. If you check out my Links page, it should be glaringly obvious. However, if you've just been ignoring all of the signs, let me spit it out for you: I'm a giant nerd.

Why is this relevant? Well, if you haven't gotten it from the title of my post, you should get it from the picture above. Still no? Here's an extra-special super-duper clue:

I'm a Whovian. I'm actually a second gen Whovian. Why does this matter? Because Wednesday was my birthday and I got a super cool TARDIS key necklace.
Want your very own? (You know you do) Buy it here
And I've had my Talking TARDIS Cookie Jar since Christmas, so I really wanted to do a Doctor Who inspired post with the key and the TARDIS and my brother's sonic screwdriver. But we had strawberries and bananas that needed to be used, and I was going to make cupcakes with them, but they turned out to be muffins (super yummy muffins) and I didn't feel like making something else since it was my birthday and all, and then I remembered that the Doctor loves bananas (at least 9 and 10 do. 11 hasn't said anything on the subject). So it works! (sort of)

I'll just pretend that the Doctor stopped in to have some muffins and tea and we went on an adventure with K-9 and Captain Jack and saved the universe from the Daleks and then we came back for more muffins. Because these are seriously that good.
I call these my Strawberry Banana Milkshake Muffins, because they kind of taste like a strawberry banana milkshake. But in a muffin. And it's awesome.

 As I said before, these were originally meant to be cupcakes, but after I made them, I realized the texture and the sweetness were closer to a muffin. These could totally pass for cupcakes, however. They'd be fan-flipping-tastic topped with some fresh whipped cream. They're sort of a cross between muffin and cupcake- moist and tender like a cupcake, but less sweet and with a rougher crumb, like a muffin. I like them still warm from the oven, with the strawberry bits all hot and melty.... Mmmm.

Strawberry Banana Milkshake Muffins {Printable Version}
Yield: 15 muffins
 
Ingredients
8 oz. white baking chocolate, chopped
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 medium bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped strawberries


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the chocolate and butter in a microwave safe-bowl and heat for 30 seconds on medium (50%) power. Stir and repeat until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add the white chocolate mixture, eggs, vanilla extract, and banana. Using a whisk, mix together until it forms a batter (some lumps are fine). Using a rubber spatula, fold in the chopped strawberries. Place liners in a muffin tin and fill each almost to the top (3/4 of the way or more). Bake for 20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.


Recipe by Kim


Freezer Paper Stencil Tutorial DIY TARDIS Dress DIY TARDIS Top Hat Crispy Caramel Filled Chocolate TARDIS and Daleks The Accidental Banana Daiquiri Ice Pop Dalek Cupcake Tutorial Bananas Are Good Frozen Nutella-Covered Bananas TARDIS Self-Destruct Buttons AKA Jammie Dodgers K-9's Italian Hot Dog Bad Wolf Cupcakes Captain Jack Harkness Brownies Bowties Are Cool Blueberry Goat Cheese Pasta Salad Fish Fingers and Custard Always Take a Banana to a Party Strawberry Banana Muffins Image Map