August 29, 2012

Pineapple Banana Mango Pops


I'm on vacation, you guys. It's awesome. I sleep till 8:30 (I know that doesn't sound like much, but that's sleeping in a whole three hours for me, and I never was much of a late sleeper). I watch TV in my pjs. I get glue all over myself. I bother Needy McSnuggles while he's sleeping so he rolls over and lets me rub his sun-warmed belly. I can make things that take hours to cook like stew and lasagna. I can refuse to answer the phone if I want. Today's also mommy's birthday, so I'll be making her favorite white chocolate chip cupcakes later on. And I can. Because I have time.

You know what the awesomest part is? I don't have to go back to work until Tuesday. Because Monday is labor day.
To us adult-type people (pbffft), labor day is awesome, because it's one of the few days we get off of work. But when I was a kid, labor day was not so awesome since it meant the pool closed and school was starting again. But I'm having such an awesome time on my vacation, I decided to make something that might make back-to-school time a little bit easier. Popsicles. But not just any popsicles. Popsicles you can eat for breakfast.
You heard me. These popsicles are super healthy, nothing but pureed fruit and juice. I didn't even sweeten it further, though you could. They melt really slow without much mess, so they're great for the little ones, too. And can you imagine the look on a kid's face when you wake them up for the first day of school and tell them they can have popsicles for breakfast? Makes the bitter pill of back-to-school time a little bit easier to swallow. And helps get them out of bed quicker. Win-win.
These are easy to make, sweet enough to fool your mind into thinking they're dessert, and healthy enough to eat for breakfast. Seriously, where's the drawback? I totally had one for breakfast this morning. While watching TV in my pjs.

Pineapple Banana Mango Pops {Printable Version}
Yield: 6 6oz. pops
 
Ingredients
2 ripe bananas
1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 cup mango juice*
A few drops agave nectar, if desired


Directions

Add bananas, pineapple chunks, and mango juice and blend until smooth. If necessary, add agave nectar
until desired sweetness is achieved. Pour into ice pop molds, being careful to leave at least ½ inch from
the tops of the containers. Freeze for a minimum of 6 hours.


Tip: These also make great smoothies. Just use frozen banana and pineapples.


*You can substitute orange juice, if desired.

 
Recipe by Kim