April 2, 2013

Sfogliatelle Scones


So, the insomnia monster hit me yesterday, and I was completely out of sorts. I kept forgetting 1) that it was already April, 2) that they'd moved the first session of Camp NaNoWriMo to April, 3) that I wanted to change up my updating schedule because of my Doctor Who series, and 4) that today was Tuesday, one of the days I had pegged for updating.

I also misspelled study as "studay" about 4 times in a row. Insomnia monster does funny things to my cognitive function.

So that's why this is getting posted a little later than usual. But it's a day earlier than usual, so I get a pass, right? Right.
The first time I made these scones, my momma insisted that they tasted like sfogliatelle (Pronouned sfwi-a-delle or sfoy-a-delle, depending on where you're from. I pronounce it the first way), which is one of her favorite pastries in the world. Sfogliatelle are these super flaky pastries, with with an orange-ricotta filling.
Source
The combination of the orange zest, almond meal, and ricotta in these scones give them their sfogliatelle flavor, but the addition of oats makes them okay to eat for breakfast. I consider that a win.

So does my momma.


Sfogliatelle Scones {Printable Version}
Yield: 12 scones

Ingredients
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup almond meal*
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup cold butter, diced
½ cup ricotta
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp. orange zest
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
2 cups uncooked quick or old-fashioned oats**
2 tbsp. milk or cream
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp. orange zest

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, almond meal, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or rub it in with your fingertips) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta, buttermilk, egg, zest, and extracts. Add the wet ingredients and the oats to the flour mixture, and mix until the dough comes together (it will be slightly sticky). Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently about 10 times. On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat, shape the dough into 2 even 6-inch rounds. Using a sharp knife, cut each round into 6 wedges, but do not separate them. Brush the tops with milk or cream. Mix together the ¼ cup sugar and ½ tsp. zest, and sprinkle evenly over the scones. Bake 15-20 minutes, until the tops and edges are golden brown. Remove the scones from the cookie sheet and place on a wire cooling rack, carefully separating them. Best served warm.

*Or use 3 cups all-purpose flour

**I used quick oats. Old-fashioned oats will add a more distinctive texture.

Recipe by Kim