October 23, 2013

Biscuits and Gravy


I've been getting over a cold this past week. I'm better now, though still slightly sniffly, but comfort food has definitely been the name of the game.

I had defrosted a pound of sausage meat earlier with all of the best intentions, but when the sneezing and hacking came on, I wasn't in much of a mood to cook. Still, I didn't want the meat to go to waste, so I thought about just cooking it up with some hashbrowns and making a fritatta.

Then I found we only had three eggs left. Not enough for a fritatta.
So I did a little interwebz research and saw that sausage gravy seemed really simple to make. I had a can of refrigerated biscuit dough, so I decided to make biscuits and gravy.

Well, it turns out, sausage gravy is really simple to make. I saw a number of iterations out there that were just sausage drippings, flour, cream, and black pepper. I added some unsalted chicken broth to mine because it seemed a little too bland that way (unsalted because sausage meat usually has more than enough salt), and I added lots of freshly cracked black pepper and a hearty shake of Mrs. Dash cooking blend. I also couldn't taste very well, because of the sniffling, so I might have over seasoned it a bit. I'll leave that up to you.
Biscuits and gravy isn't usually my thing, but let me tell you something: when you feel like crap and you can have a fresh, hot, filling breakfast ready in 20 minutes (including biscuit baking time), it's most certainly my thing.

Sausage Gravy
Yield: Approx. 8 servings

Ingredients
1 lb. pork sausage meat
1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 cup half and half
1 cup unsalted chicken broth
Freshly cracked black pepper
Mrs. Dash cooking blend (optional)

Directions
In a large, non-stick skillet, cook the sausage meat. Stir in the flour until well mixed. Add in the half and half and chicken broth and cook, stirring occasionally, until it bubbles and thickens. Season to taste with black pepper and Mrs. Dash, if using. Serve over warm biscuits.

Recipe by Kim