November 10, 2013

Peanut Butter Banana Cookie Pie

With an Oreo Cookie Crust


Okay, I'm gonna call this a "cookie pie" because that's what it was supposed to be when I put it in the oven, but I'm not entirely sure that's what it ended up being.

I'm also not entirely sure what it ended up being, other than delicious.
See, I was in the mood for peanut butter cookie pie. Well, at least I thought I was, having never actually made cookie pie before. And then I spotted two old bananas that needed to be used, and I threw those in.

I didn't quite get the batter to cookie dough consistency, which might explain things. I was worried that it would make it too dense and dry. It was more like a very thick cake batter, but this pie isn't cake-like either. It's like some sort of mad scientist cross between cookie and cake, in pie form

This is the problem when you don't listen to recipes. You end up taking things out of the oven that you want to share with the world but have no idea what to call it.
I also threw in some chocolate and peanut butter chips, but they kind of disappeared. The pie ate them. Om nom nom. (I was up late last night trying to get my word count in. Can you tell? Nah)

But whatever this is, this cookie/cake/pie hybrid that feasts on chocolate chips, it's peanut buttery banana goodness, and you should go and make it. Like, right now. For breakfast. Because it's that good.

Peanut Butter Banana Cookie Pie
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
For the crust:
15 chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos), crushed to a fine crumb
6 tbsp. melted butter

For the pie:
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
⅔ cup creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1¼ cups flour
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup peanut butter and chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 365°F. Mix together the cookie crumbs and melted butter, and press into a regular 9-inch pie plate, allowing it to come up the sides. Bake 8-10 minutes until firm, and allow to cool completely.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl with electric beaters, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the mashed banana, peanut butter, and vanilla extract, and continue to beat until smooth. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Spread the batter evenly into the prepared crust. Bake 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, and the edges are a golden brown. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

Tip: If you don't mind a softer crust, you can skip the pre-baking.

Recipe by Kim