May 21, 2014

Cinnamon Breakfast Squares


You guys know what I need right now? Energy. I think I taped and spackled at least 30 cracks in my walls so far, and I keep finding more. I've only had time to prime one room, and don't even get me started on the sheer amount of cleaning the sellers left me with. Seriously, they were nasty.

So when I got the chance to try the new Cinnamon Crunch Morning Energy flavor of Honey Bunches of Oats, I held out my bowl like I was Oliver Twist. It's been the perfect way to start my mornings. Not too sweet (which I love in a cereal), super cinnamon-y, and I love the little cinnamon clusters. They're my favorite part. Plus lots of protein to keep me going when I'm upside down and backwards spackling a crack in the doorway arch.
I also got a chance to try these Cinnamon Breakfast Squares. These guys smell like French toast when they're baking up, it's fantastic. They didn't come out quite like I had expected, though. I think that I was expecting them to be cake-ier or at least crunchy, but they actually came out a little eggy. They actually reminded me almost of a really thick crepe with a sort of cinnamon streusel on top.

Now, don't get me wrong, they were actually really tasty. Sort of like a crepe-y, French toast-y hybrid, which is better than it sounds. And when it's breakfast, it's okay if it's a little eggy. The recipe recommends topping it with a dollop of Greek yogurt, honey, summer berries, and cinnamon or nutmeg. I liked them best with syrup and a good dusting of cinnamon sugar. And since strawberries are grown locally in my town, that's obviously the way I go when it comes to berries. (I'm not a huge fan of yogurt though, so I skipped it. It's a textural thing. If I'm not legitimately craving it, it makes me gag)
I made these for Mother's Day breakfast, and they were a big hit. My mom loved them, and that's really all that matters.

Cinnamon Breakfast Squares with Yogurt and Berries
Yield: 6 squares

Ingredients
1 cup Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy Cinnamon Crunch cereal
1/3 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup nonfat (skim) milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 container (6 oz) Greek yogurt, any flavor
3 cups fresh berries, or fruit of choice
Honey or pancake syrup, for drizzling
Cinnamon or nutmeg, for sprinkling (I used cinnamon sugar)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x8" square pan.

In a mixing bowl, mix the cereal, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt together using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, lightly crushing the cereal as you stir.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and vanilla together until well blended. Combine with the dry ingredients.

Pour the batter (it will be thin) into the prepared pan, and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the bars are set when the middle is lightly pressed. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

To serve: cut the bars into 6 equal pieces. Top with yogurt, surround with berries. Drizzle with honey or syrup, and dust with cinnamon or nutmeg. Serve immediately.

*Disclaimer: I was provided with free samples of Honey Bunches of Oats Morning Energy so that I could try this recipe. I am under no obligation to give a positive review, nor do I receive any further compensation for this post. All opinions are, as always, my own.*